Location

The Army History Directorate (AHD) has its seat in a four-storey neoclassical building to the crossroads of Thalou and Pittakou streets in Plaka district, opposite the Hadrian Gate. The building covers a surface of 2,394 square meters; in 1980 it was qualified as a scheduled building (official gazette No.617/D/08–11–1980). The Air Defense Directorate was the first owner of the building. In 1929 the building devolved to the ownership of the National Defense Pay Office (NDPO) when law No. 4407 "for the establishment of the NDPO" was put into force.

The French Mission in Athens (1911) and the Preliminary War College which was further upgraded to "Higher Education College" (from 1912 to 1914) were settled in the building. The A' Army Corps and the Supreme Military Command of Interior and Islands (ASDEN) were also settled in the building in the ensuing years. The AHD shares its offices with the NDPO from 1977 onwards.